Smithfield Meat Market, the UK’s largest meat market, is now stocking plant-based meat for the first time in its 800 year history. Moving Mountains’® burger is available at P.J. Martinelli in a ground-breaking move reflecting the growing demand from consumers who are following a plant-based or flexitarian diet. It follows initiatives from UK supermarkets to sell meat substitutes is meat aisle section.
Smithfield meat market made headlines last month when Extinction Rebellion staged a protest there for a day, to draw attention to the link between meat consumption and climate change. George Monbiot cut the ribbon to open the Smithfield Plant-Based Market filled with the kinds of foods that should make up our future food system.
P.J. Martinelli, which has specialised in traditional meat products for over 30 years has decided to sell The Moving Mountains’® plant-based burger.
Paul Martinelli, Managing Director of P.J. Martinelli explains: “We have trialled a wide range of plant-based products on the market and have no hesitation in recommending Moving Mountains® to our clients as the highest quality and best flavour in the marketplace. Our company always provides the widest choice and we see this as a natural addition to our product range.”
Moving Mountains® burgers are made using natural ingredients, ground-breaking science, state-of-the-art machines and the latest food technology so that the burger replicates animal meat in every way – it even bleeds through the middle with beetroot juice instead of blood. They are made of:
- Oyster Mushrooms for the base, to maintain the mouth-watering, succulent texture and differentiate the burger from US competitors. It provides health benefits including lowering cholesterol.
- Pea protein as a source of protein.
- Wheat and soy proteins to give a fibrous texture akin to the bite and depth of a traditional burger.
- Beetroot juice for a juicy, ‘bleed’ at the centre of the patty.
- Coconut oil to provide a fatty, satisfying consistency. It contains zero trans-fat, zero cholesterol and is rich in antioxidants.
- Oats to help provide the firm structure of the patty.
- Vitamin B12, traditionally associated with red meats, has been added so that the Moving Mountains burger can genuinely compete with a beef burger and provide more essential nutrients as the burger contains the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of B12.
Moving Mountains® is a 100% British business and 100% independent. Its name was not chosen by chance. Moving Mountains® is a bold and powerful metaphor for the brand’s “massive” goal of living in harmony on a sustainable planet, as well as a daily affirmation in the form of cruelty-free, plant-based food and human health.