This smooth and fruity apple butter is delicious spread on toasts, mixed in porridge, or eaten with sweet potatoes or in sandwiches.
This apple butter complements both sweet and savoury dishes. Deliciously fruity, it works both as a spread and a condiment. It makes a delicious alternative to apple sauce or compote. Great to eat for breakfast, snack, in a sandwich or roasted sweet potatoes or butternut.
Cooked in a slow-cooker, this is a great autumn recipe that makes great use of homegrown apples. Once made it will keep in airtight jars in the fridge for up to 2-3 weeks. You can also can it for longer-term storage. As always make sure the containers are sterile.
The quantity of sugar for this recipe is for medium sweet apples. Do not hesitate to adjust how much sugar you use based on how sweet the apples you are using are.
I use our garden apples which are just standard variety. This recipe works with any kind of apples but the apple butter will cook faster with softer apples (such as Bramley, Golden Delicious etc..). To get the best flavour you can also mix different varieties of apples.
What is apple butter?
Apple butter is a concentrated form of apple sauce. The apples are cooked with sugar and spices in a slow cooker for 10 hours or overnight until you have a thick and dark paste.
If you do not have a slow cooker, you can use a heavy bottom pan or preserving pan.
Seasoned with mixed ground spices or cinnamon, it has a delicious warming flavour.
How to use apple butter?
- Spread it on a sweet or savoury sandwich.
- Stir it into porridge.
- Makes a great addition to cheeseboards and a yummy alternative to quince paste (membrillo).
- Try it as a topping for pancakes or waffles
- Makes a perfect condiments to roasted vegetables (sweet potatoes, butternut squash or even Brussels sprouts)
- Use it as a filling for pies, cinnamon rolls, scones, doughnuts, muffins etc…
- Makes an awesome low-fat alternative to butter and/or a low-sugar alternative to jam.
Here are more apple recipes you may like to try:
- APPLE COMPOTE WITH NO REFINED SUGAR [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- APPLE & BLACKBERRY JAM [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- APPLE CHIPS [VEGAN]
I hope you enjoy this apple butter recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
- slow cooker
- handheld immersion blender
- preserving jars
- 2.5 kg apples
- 250 g dark muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp mixed ground spices or cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into small chunks.
- Place the apple chunks in a slow cooker. Add the sugar, salt, vanilla and spices.
- Cook covered in the slow cooker on low for around 10 hours. Stir from time to time. The apple butter should be thick and dark in colour.
- If you can see that there is too much liquid, cook uncovered in the slow cooker on low for another 2 hours.
- Blend to a smooth paste with a hand held blender.
- Transfer into sterile airtight jars and keep refrigerated for up to 2-3 weeks. Can for longer term storage.
I cannot wait to see your posts!