This vegan Grilled Aubergines With Chickpea Caponata is bursting with summer flavours.
A quick and easy lunch or dinner, that is best served with some crusty bread.
Caponata is a thick and delicious vegetable Sicilian relish. Infused with olives and caper, it makes your tastebuds tingle and is one of my favourite Italian dishes.
I love it with pasta, rice, whole grain, bread or on its own. You can never go wrong with it. It is best eaten warm or at room temperature. If you can make it ahead, the flavours will have time to develop even more and you can just grill the aubergines on the day when you want to serve this dish.
Grilled Aubergines With Chickpea Caponata [vegan]
- roasting tray
- Frying pan
- 4 medium aubergines
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 290 g drained pitted Kalamata olives
- 7 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- olive oil
- 1 large handful of pinenuts
- 1 large handful of basil leaves
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
- Cut the aubergines lengthwise in 0.5cm [0.2 inches] thick slices.
- Brush each slice with olive oil. Place them on a roasting tray. You will probably need 2 trays or do them in batches.
- Grill for 20-25 mins until golden.
- In the meantime heat some olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Under medium heat, fry the finely sliced red onion together with the crushed garlic until golden.
- Add halved cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Fry gently for 10 mins until liquid has thickened.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add them to the tomato mixture alongside the olives and capers. Cook gently until chickpeas have heated through. Season to taste.
- In a separate pan, dry toast the pine nuts.
- Once the aubergines (eggplants) are grilled, place them on a serving dish.
- Pour the tomato mixture on top of the aubergines.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and pine nuts just before serving.
- This dish can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
I cannot wait to see your posts!