These vegetarian broccoli & cauliflower cheddar fritters are always a big hit in my house.
They are filled with wonderful flavours of cheddar cheese and mild spices mixed in with grated broccoli and cauliflower.
You can eat them hot, cold or at room temperature. Leftovers are great for lunchboxes.
Broccoli & Cauliflower Cheddar Fritters [vegetarian]
- Frying pan
- mixing bowl
- 300 g broccoli florets
- 300 g cauliflower florets
- 125 g cheddar
- 4 organic eggs
- 4 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg or more to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 50 g finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 handful chopped parsley
- salt & pepper
- vegetable oil to fry
- yoghurt and lemon to serve
- Heat some water in a large saucepan.
- With the coarse side of a cheese grater, grate the broccoli and cauliflower florets.
- When the water is boiling, tip the grated broccoli and cauliflower in the saucepan and blanch for 3-4 mins. Drain well, extracting as much water as possible.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Add the chopped onion, crushed garlic, beaten eggs, breadcrumbs, grated cheddar, parsley, nutmeg and garam masala. Mix until well blended. Season to taste. If mix does not hold together well, you can add some more breadcrumbs.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- When the oil is hot, spoon one generous tablespoon of the vegetable mixture. Flatten it with a flipper/ turner spatula.
- Cook for 3 to 4 mins until you can flip it on the other side. When done transfer to a warm plate in the oven. Cover with foil.
- Repeat for each fritter. Depending on the size of your frying pan, you might be able to cook more than one fritter at the time.
- Serve with yoghurt and some lemon. The fritters can be eaten warm or at room temperature.
I cannot wait to see your posts!