Chunky & hearty with wonderful flavours, this is such a delicious soup!
Chunky & hearty with wonderful flavours, I am completely obsessed with this Butternut Squash, Parsnip & Kale Soup. It is delicious and perfect for the cold weather. The spices are very warming and the chickpeas make it a complete meal.
Kale is added just before serving so it stays crunchy but if you wish, you can cook it slightly longer until it wilts. If you prefer not to add kale, then top this soup up with fresh coriander instead.
Serve it with warm crunchy bread and a dash of smoked paprika on top.
Butternut Squash, Parsnip & Kale Soup [vegan]
- large saucepan
- handheld immersion blender
- 500 g butternut squash
- 300 g parsnip
- 1 small cox apple
- 5 cm grated ginger root [1.95 inches]
- 2 medium onions
- 4 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.3 litre vegetable stock
- 800 g can chickpeas
- 2 large handfuls kale
- 1 lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the finely chopped onions, crushed garlic and cook gently until soft.
- Add the coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika, cinnamon and grated ginger. Cook for 2 mins.
- Peel the butternut squash and parsnips. Cut in 2cm [0.8 inches] dice.
- Add to the saucepan and fry for 10 mins, stirring often.
- Add the vegetable stock on top of the vegetables followed by peeled and cored apple.
- Bring to boil, then lower the heat and cook for 15 mins until vegetables are soft.
- Liquidise the soup.
- Just before serving add the drained chickpeas, lemon juice and kale. Reheat so that all ingredients warm through. Season to taste.
I cannot wait to see your posts!