This delicious butternut squash quinoa casserole makes an easy and healthy family meal. Bursting with plant-based proteins and vegetable, I like to grill some (dairy-free) cheese on top for extra flavour.
This delicious butternut squash quinoa casserole makes an easy and healthy family meal. Bursting with plant-based proteins and vegetable, I like to grill some (dairy-free) cheese on top for extra flavour. My kids love this dish with some tortilla chips on the side.
The butternut squash is first roasted in the oven while the quinoa and tomato sauce are cooked separately. To give this recipe a Mexican twist, the tomato sauce is fragranced with cumin, coriander and smoked paprika. I also added red pepper, red kidney beans and corn.
If you prefer a vegan option you can swap the cheese with a dairy-free option. To add a bit more colour to this recipe, I used a combination of white, red and black quinoa often sold as tricolour or rainbow quinoa. Not only is the mix of colour beautiful, but the different colour quinoa grains all have a slightly different texture which I find really satisfying.
This butternut squash quinoa casserole makes delicious leftovers that will easily reheat. The recipe was inspired by another family favourite. My one-post Mexican quinoa stew made with quinoa and cracked wheat cooked in a fragrant tomato sauce spiced with cumin, coriander, crushed chipotle, paprika, oregano and a dash of cinnamon.
View this post on Instagram
Butternut squash is just coming out of season so enjoy it while you still can. So versatile, it is perfect for salads, soups, curries, casseroles, pies or simply roasted on its own. You can view my butternut squash recipe section here for more inspiration as well as this compilation of my favourite recipes from around the web here.
Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole
- roasting tray
- Frying pan
- cheese grater
- 600 g medium butternut squash – diced
- olive oil
- 175 g uncooked quinoa
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 150 g drained or frozen corn
- 400 g can red kidney beans
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- lime juice to taste
- salt & pepper
- 2 handfuls of grated cheese [dairy-free if vegan]
- 30 g bunch of fresh coriander
- tortilla chips to serve optional
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Peel butternut and cut in 2cm [0.8 inches] dice. Place on a roasting tray with a drizzle of olive oil. Roast for 25-30 mins
- While the butternut is cooking, bring some salted water to the boil in a saucepan. Add quinoa and cook for 12-15mins until done. Drain and set aside
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add finely diced red onion and garlic. Fry gently for a couple of minutes. Add diced red pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander and smoked paprika. Fry gently for 3 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, corn, drained red kidney beans, dried oregano and vegetable stock. Cook under medium to high heat for around 10 mins until liquid has reduced to half. When done, mix in cooked quinoa and roasted butternut squash in the pan.
- Put the grill on.
- Add one handful of grated cheese and the chopped coriander in the vegetable mixture. Stir until well blended. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper. Add another handful of grated cheese on top of vegetable mixture and put under the grill for 2-4 mins until golden.
- Serve straight away with tortilla chips on the side (optional).
I cannot wait to see your posts!