Rich and bold, this chocolate mocha mousse was inspired by my favourite chocolates “Around Midnight Espresso Chocolate Truffles” from Booja-Booja.
Rich and bold, this chocolate mocha mousse was inspired by my favourite chocolates “Around Midnight Espresso Chocolate Truffles” from Booja-Booja and my Dreamy Chocolate Mousse.
It is using aquafaba (chickpea brine) instead of eggs. Whisked in a food processor, chickpea brine transforms itself into whisked egg whites. This amazing process is made possible by the high protein content of chickpea brine.
Make sure that the chickpea brine you are using does not contain salt as otherwise, this chocolate mousse might not taste as good.
This recipe is part of my Leftover Duos series as I had some chickpea brine leftover from making this curried chickpea sandwich. No waste in this kitchen :)!
Chocolate Mocha Mousse [vegan] [gluten free]
- food processor or whisk
- 4 ramequins
- 400 g chickpea can – best if the can does not contain salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 175 g dark chocolate
- 2-3 tsp espresso powder
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Drain the chickpea and transfer the brine in the bowl of a food processor. (you can use the chickpeas to make hummus later)
- Break chocolate and place into a heatproof bowl. Sit bowl in a pan over simmering water so that the chocolate melts. Stir often.
- With your food processor on high speed, whisk chickpea brine to stiff peaks (as you would do with egg whites). It should take 5-10 mins depending on your food processor or whisk. Add cream of tartar and sugar. Whisk for another 10 seconds.
- Once the chocolate is melted, cool it down so you can touch it. Stir espresso powder in to taste. You want the chocolate to have cool down but still be liquid. If it is too hard it will not mix well for the next step.
- With a spatula, carefully fold half of the chocolate in the whisked chickpea brine. Once it is well mixed, carefully fold the second half. Transfer mousse to a serving bowl or serving dishes. Leave to set in the fridge from 4 hours to overnight.
I cannot wait to see your posts!