Crunchy and delicious, these cookies are perfect for a mid-afternoon treat or after school snack.
These cookies were a big hit with my kids (and hubby). Crunchy and delicious, they are perfect for a mid-afternoon treat or after school snack. They are easy to make and also ideal as a home-baked gift.
Spelt is one of the most ancient crops, packed with nutrients (plus fibre and protein).
These Crunchy Spelt Raisin Cookies are a healthy & yummy alternative to store-bought cookies.
You can buy spelt flakes, ground chia seeds and coconut oil in your local health store.
Crunchy Spelt Raisin Cookies [vegan]
- 2 mixing bowls
- baking tray
- 300 g spelt flakes
- 125 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 125 g sultanas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 ml melted coconut oil
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 2 chia eggs – 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp of water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, prepare the chia eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Leave to rest for 10 mins.
- In another bowl, soak the sultanas covered with boiling water for 10 mins.
- Cream the chia eggs and sugar. Add the cinnamon, vanilla, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Mix in the spelt flakes and spelt flour. Add the drained sultanas last. Mix together until everything is well blended.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drop 1 heaped tablespoon at a time to make cookies of around 8cm (3 inches) diameter and 1.5cm (0.5 inches) thickness. Space them apart. Cook for 10-12 mins until golden.
- Once cooked place the cookies carefully on a cooling rack to cool down completely. These cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days.
I cannot wait to see your posts!