This vegan curried root vegetable soup is extra silky thanks to some added beans and coconut milk.
This vegan curried root vegetable soup is extra silky thanks to some added beans and coconut milk. Serve it with some crusty bread or naan.
Curry works really well in soups, especially with root vegetables. The spices give a warming feel which is so comforting and soothing especially during the winter months. The flavours will develop so it does taste even better the next day.
If you prefer a spicier dish, you can substitute the mild curry powder for medium or hot curry powder instead.
How to make this soup
I have used a mix of carrots. parsnips and potatoes in equal proportions. They are gently cooked in a base of onion, garlic, curry powder, coriander, cumin, grated ginger, turmeric and tomato paste. To make things easier, I have used some shop-bought stock powder but if you have some homemade vegetable stock that would be even better.
Cannellini beans are fantastic to add some plant-based creaminess (and proteins) without the need for dairy. Add them once you have liquidised the soup, and then liquidise the soup again. For extra flavour, I have added some fresh coriander.
You can use full-fat or light coconut milk, keeping a spoon or two aside to decorate your soup bowl when serving.
If you love this curried root vegetable soup, you should also try …
My Curried Butternut Squash Soup, Curried Root Vegetable Casserole, Curried Chickpea Sandwich, Leek & Comté Curried Mini Quiches, Curried Brussels Sprouts Soup, Curried Broccoli & Leek Quiche or my cabbage curry.
This light and tasty recipe is perfect to jazz up some white or green cabbage. Quick and easy to make, this dish is served with rice, fresh coriander and some optional red chillies if you want a little bit more heat.
Curried Root Vegetable Soup [vegan] [gluten free]
- large saucepan
- 300 g carrots
- 300 g parsnips
- 300 g potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 thumb grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 400 g can of cannellini beans
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- juice of 1 1/2 lemon
- 50 g fresh coriander – long stalks removed
- 1.5 l vegetable stock
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the finely chopped onion, garlic, curry powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, grated ginger, turmeric and tomato paste. Fry gently until soft.
- Peel the vegetables and cut them into small chunks.
- Add the vegetables to saucepan followed by stock.
- Bring to the boil. Then cook covered for around 20 mins until vegetables are soft.
- Liquidise the soup. Add the drained and rinsed cannellini beans followed by fresh coriander. Liquidise the soup again until smooth.
- Add the coconut milk and lemon juice.
- Season to taste.
I cannot wait to see your posts!