This savoury recipe is loaded with courgettes and fragrant basil.
Who said waffles had to be sweet? This savoury recipe is loaded with courgettes and fragrant basil. A great way to get one of your 5-a-day.
You can serve these courgette waffles with some chopped tomatoes. They make the perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner.
Einkorn wheat is one of the oldest ancient grains. Having been left relatively untouched by modern agriculture, einkorn has also a different gluten composition and has been found to be more digestible than modern wheat flour. It is a good alternative if you have a gluten sensitivity however, it is not suitable for coeliacs. You can buy einkorn flour from health stores and some supermarkets.
Einkorn Courgette Waffles [vegan]
- 2 mixing bowls
- waffle maker
- 400 g courgette
- 300 g einkorn flour
- 75 g dairy free butter
- 2 chia eggs – 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp of water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 ml rice milk
- 15 g basil
- oil to grease waffle maker
- tomatoes to garnish
- Make the chia eggs by mixing in a bowl 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside.
- Grate the courgette with the coarse side of a cheese grater.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix together the einkorn flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the melted butter with the flour. Carry on mixing while adding the chia eggs followed by rice milk. The mixture should be well blended.
- Add the grated courgettes and the chopped basil. Blend until everything is well mixed together and there are no lumps.
- Pre-heat the waffle maker brushed with vegetable oil.
- Pour the waffle batter one ladle at a time into the waffle maker. Cook each waffle for around 4-5 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve hot with chopped tomatoes on top. Don’t forget to oil the waffle maker with vegetable oil between each waffle.
I cannot wait to see your posts!