Moist and delicious these ginger & chocolate beetroot muffins are a real treat at breakfast time.
Moist and delicious these ginger & chocolate beetroot muffins are a real treat at breakfast time. Of course, they can also be enjoyed during the day as a snack or dessert. Nut-free they are also perfect for school lunch boxes.
This recipe was inspired by the Beet Ginger Cake recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi and Helen Goh’s Sweet cookbook.
I like adding beets to cakes but here I wanted something more suited to breakfast and not as chocolatey as my Orange & Beetroot Chocolate Cake. Don’t expect death by chocolate, this recipe is all about hints of cocoa and warming ginger. I added some carrots to these chocolate beetroot muffins and used wholemeal spelt flour which has a delicious nutty flavour.
I used diced stem ginger in sugar syrup. It is different from crystalised ginger as instead of being dry, the ginger is soft and juicy having been preserved in a moist and sugary liquid. It is really nice in cakes and I buy mine from Sainsbury’s.
Ginger & Chocolate Beetroot Muffins [vegan]
- mixing bowl
- muffin tin
- 2 chia egg [2 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp of water]
- 100 ml coconut oil
- 150 g beetroots
- 100 g carrots
- 100 g diced stem ginger in sugar syrup
- 250 g wholemeal spelt flour
- 175 g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 200 ml dairy-free milk
- Preheat the oven to Fan 180°C / 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Place 12 large paper baking cases in a muffin tin.
- Prepare chia egg by mixing 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Melt coconut oil and set aside. Grate beetroots and carrots on the thin side of a cheese grater. Mix in a bowl with diced ginger.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- Mix together chia eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, cider vinegar and dairy-free milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Fold in the beetrrots, carrots and ginger.
- Carefully spoon into each muffin paper baking case in the muffin tin.
- Place in the oven for around 20-25mins. Insert a skewer to check they are cooked. Skewer should come out clean.
I cannot wait to see your posts!