This Hearty Lentil Soup makes a satisfying and super healthy meal.
This Hearty Lentil Soup makes a satisfying and super healthy meal. Nutritious it is such a comforting recipe that makes fantastic leftovers for lunchboxes.
I discovered espelette pepper in the South of France. It is a delicious chilli from the Basque country that has a mild and smoky heat. It is really versatile. I add it to salad dressings, soups, stews, eggs or casseroles. You can find it here in specialty shops, but if you prefer smoked paprika or chilli powder also work well for this recipe.
This recipe calls for kale but you can easily substitute for spinach or cabbage depending on what you have available. Low in fat and high in fibre, lentils are a good source of iron and protein. What’s more, they count as one of your five a day.
Hearty Lentil Soup [vegan] [gluten free]
- large saucepan
- 175 g green lentils
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 handfuls of chopped kale – hard stems removed – or spinach, cabbage etc..
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion [finely sliced]
- 2 garlic cloves [crushed]
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.25 litre vegetable stock
- lemon juice to taste
- espelette pepper – smoked paprika or chilli powder also work well to taste
- olive oil
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic, cumin and thyme. Fry gentil for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery cut in 1cm dice [0.4 inch].
- Add chopped tomatoes, lentils, vegetable stock and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil then cook covered under medium heat for around 20 mins. Lentils should be cooked but still have a bite.
- When done, remove bay leaf. Carefully transfer half the soup in a blender and whizz to liquid. Return the liquidised soup to the pan. Mix in chopped kale.
- Reheat the soup until kale has wilted.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, espelette pepper (or chilli powder).
I cannot wait to see your posts!