Packed with kale and avocado, this Kiwi, Kale & Chia Parfait smoothie still tastes very sweet and fruity.
Although it doesn’t say so on Green Kitchen Stories book cover or blog title, one goal David Frenkiel & Luise Vindahl have had since they started is to make greens sexier. They want to get more people to eat vegetables by showing how beautiful-looking and wonderful-tasting they are. We think this Kiwi, Kale & Chia Parfait smoothie does just that. Packed with kale and avocado, it still tastes very sweet and fruity and looks rather stunning with its different layers. This can easily be the dessert of a fancy dinner or served as breakfast on a grey Tuesday morning – that’s how versatile and, in fact, simple it is!
Green Kitchen Smoothies is the third book from David Frenkiel and Luise Vindahl, the globetrotting couple behind the gorgeous Green Kitchen Stories blog. Luise is a qualified nutritionist with a passion for developing wheat-free and sugar-free recipes and David is the photographer and design-eye behind their work.
Their two previous books, The Green Kitchen and Green Kitchen Travels, focused on healthy & simple vegetarian food made with whole grains, good fats, fruits and vegetables. The third instalment of their work, Green Kitchen Smoothies, compiles over 50 ways to create a healthy smoothie. The photography is absolutely amazing and there is something for everyone in the many recipes created by David & Luise.
Besides this Kiwi, Kale & Chia Parfait you will find many other yummy recipe ideas including a Superberry & Fennel Smoothie, a Mocha Morning Buzz to boost energy levels or a zingy Avocado, Mango and Lime Smoothie. Raising two young children, David & Luise know how important (and challenging) it can be to get kids to eat vegetables. They have cleverly disguise broccoli and peas in this Kids’ Greenie Smoothie recipe.
Reproduced with permission from GREEN KITCHEN SMOOTHIES: Healthy and colourful smoothies for every day by David Frenkiel & Luise Vindahl (Hardie Grant, £15.00). Available from Amazon and independent bookshops.
Kiwi, Kale & Chia Parfait [vegan] by Green Kitchen Stories
FOR THE CHIA PUDDING:
- 250 ml 8 ½ fl oz/1 cup Coconut Chia Pudding (made with white chai seeds and coconut drinking milk or tinned coconut milk) (page 28 of Green Kitchen Smoothies)
FOR THE KIWI FRUIT SMOOTHIE:
- ¼ ripe avocado – stone removed
- 1 ripe green kiwi fruit
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 handful kale or spinach – stems removed (organic if possible)
- 125 ml 4 fl oz/ ½ cup coconut water (or coconut milk)
- juice of ½ lime
- ripe green kiwi fruit – finely sliced and chopped
- Nut Butter
- fresh blueberries
- Coconut & Buckwheat Granola – page 29 or granola of choice
- desiccated coconut
- fresh lemon balm leaves – optional
- Add the avocado and kiwi fruit flesh to a blender along with the rest of the kiwi fruit smoothie ingredients.
- Blend on a high speed until completely smooth.
- Spoon half of the chia pudding into the base of two medium-sized glasses (as featured in the photo on page 98). For a beautiful artistic look, you don’t need to worry about making the layers even.
- Arrange a few kiwi fruit slices around the inside of the glasses. Cover with half of the kiwi fruit smoothie, the rest of the chia pudding and a dollop of nut butter. Top with the rest of the kiwi fruit smoothie and finish with another dollop of nut butter, as well as some chopped kiwi fruit and blueberries and a sprinkling of granola, coconut and lemon balm.
I cannot wait to see your posts!