Bursting with citrus flavours, these Lemon & Chia Seed Muffins are delicious for breakfast or snack.
Bursting with citrus flavours, these Lemon & Chia Seed Muffins are delicious for breakfast or snack and an alternative to lemon poppy muffins. The drizzle is optional but adds a nice touch.
I created this recipe for my son who absolutely loves lemon cakes and desserts (especially lemon drizzle). Every time I make a batch they disappear in no time. I even sneak one muffin in his lunchbox as a special treat.
Light and moist with some crunchy chia seeds inside, this recipe is low in fat and uses spelt flour which is a nutritious whole grain high in fiber. Chia seeds are high in calcium, protein and omega-3s.
Lemon & Chia Seed Muffins [vegan]
- 12-hole muffin tin
- mixing bowl
- 250 g spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 175 g caster sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 100 ml lemon juice
- 75 ml melted coconut oil
- 75 ml non dairy milk
- 2 chia eggs [2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water]
FOR THE ICING:
- 50 g icing sugar
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- extra chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Place 12 large paper baking cases in a muffin tin.
- Prepare chia eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- In a bowl mix together spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zests, salt and chia seeds.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl: chia eggs, melted coconut oil, non dairy milk and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well until well combined.
- Carefully spoon into each muffin paper baking case in muffin tin to 3/4 height.
- Place in the oven for about 20-25 mins. Insert a skewer to check they are cooked. Skewer should come out clean.
- Make the icing while the muffins are cooling down.
- Mix together icing sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle icing over the muffins, followed by a sprinkle of chia seeds.
I cannot wait to see your posts!