This Lentil Vegetable Hotpot recipe from Hello Fresh is another classic meat dish that has gone meat-free.
This Lentil Vegetable Hotpot recipe from Hello Fresh is another classic meat dish that has gone meat-free. This hearty vegetarian meal was a big hit with my kids and it re-heated brilliantly the next day. It has an indulgent cheesy potato topping and makes a truly delicious family meal that is also ideal whenever you are entertaining.
This is an easy dish to prepare. To cut the potato evenly, I used the thicker setting of a mandoline slicer. Always keen to minimise washing up, I prepared this Lentil Vegetable Hotpot in a hob to oven cast iron shallow casserole.
The traditional Lancashire Hotpot (lamb stew topped with sliced potatoes) is traditional British fare. It’s comfort food at its best.
In this vegetarian version from Hello Fresh, meat has been replaced with a satisfying mix of lentils and vegetables, cooked in light vegetable stock with a kick of wholegrain mustard. This recipe makes four generous portions. If you need to adapt the quantities or would like to see pictures of the step-by-step method please visit the recipe page on the Hello Fresh’s website.
Hello Fresh delivers recipe boxes right to your doorstep. Customers can choose their favourite recipes every week. To minimise waste, Hello Fresh only sends the exact portions of fresh ingredients needed to cook the recipes. Boxes can be customised to suit the number of people and meals you want to cook for.
The Classic Box from Hello Fresh has a vegetarian option, which is great for anyone wanting to follow a meat-free diet whatever his or her cooking skills. Every week, you can choose from 18 delicious British and World cuisine recipes. Then you can kick back and enjoy! No more hassle from shopping or not knowing what to cook. Each recipe is designed to take just 20 – 50 minutes to cook which is ideal for anyone who is short of time but still wants to eat homemade healthy food.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Hello Fresh. The recipe was reproduced from their website. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Lentil Vegetable Hotpot from Hello Fresh [vegetarian]
- large saucepan + ovenproof dish
- hob to oven casserole dish
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 red peppers
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms
- 800 g cooked lentils
- 1 medium bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 600 g potatoes
- 2 Tbsp mixed Italian herbs
- 1 heaped Tbsp tomato puree
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 30 g wholegrain mustard
- 125 g baby spinach
- 60 g cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Halve, peel and chop the onion into small pieces. Remove the top and bottom from the carrot (no need to peel!), quarter lengthways, then chop widthways into small pieces. Halve, then remove the core from the pepper and chop the pepper into small pieces. Roughly chop the mushrooms. Drain and rinse the lentils in a sieve. Roughly chop the parsley (stalks and all). Cut the potato (no need to peel) into ½cm thick slices.
- Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, until slightly soft, 4-5 mins. Add the pepper and mushrooms, along with pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft, 5 mins.
- Next, add the lentils, Provençal herbs and tomato puree to the pan and stir well. Pour in the water (see ingredients for amount) along with the stock pot. Add the mustard (see ingredients for amount – add less if you don't like heat!), spinach and half the parsley. Stir together, then simmer for 3-4 mins. TIP: It might look like a lot of spinach initially but it will wilt down!
- Transfer the lentil mixture from the pan into an ovenproof dish. Layer the potato slices over the top. TIP: Don't overlap the slices too much otherwise they won't all cook at the same rate. Drizzle with oil and season with a few grinds of pepper. Bake the hotpot on the top shelf of your oven for 20-25 mins. TIP: The potato will sink slightly into the sauce as it cooks, this is perfectly fine!
- While the hotpot is in your oven, grate the cheddar cheese. Once the 25 mins baking time is up, remove the hotpot from the oven and turn your grill to high. Scatter the cheese over the hotpot and grill until melted and golden, about 5 mins.
- Serve the hotpot in individual bowls or plates and finish with a sprinkling of the remaining parsley. Enjoy!
I cannot wait to see your posts!