Delicious vegan mushroom tarts that work as appetisers or lunch. So simple to make too!
These delicious vegan mushroom tarts are so simple to make. For extra flavour, I have added fragrant rosemary and earthy walnuts with a dash of lemon juice.
This recipe is so simple to make and yet the tarts look impressive enough that you can serve them as an appetiser when entertaining or during the holiday season.
For ease, I have used Jus-Rol’s Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheet as well as a mixture of frozen button, chestnut, nameko and shiitake mushrooms. You can use frozen or fresh mushrooms. If you can splash out a little, chanterelles would work well (swapping rosemary for thyme).
You can serve these tarts either hot, warm or cold with a side salad.
How to make these mushroom tarts
As I mentioned before, this is a very easy recipe to make.
First, you will need to gently fry shallots and garlic into some olive oil. Then sautée the mushrooms under medium heat. You might need to adjust the cooking time depending on whether you are using fresh or frozen mushrooms.
While the mushrooms are cooking, roll out the puffed pastry and cut it into six equal-sized rectangles. Again to make things easier for myself, I used Jus-Rol’s Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheet.
In order to create a raised border for these mushroom tarts, you will need a sharp knife to score a 1.5cm / ½ inch border around the edges of each rectangle. Make sure to NOT cut right through the pastry.
Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the roughly chopped walnuts to the pan and season to taste with lemon juice plus salt and pepper.
Share the mushroom mixture evenly between each tart piling the mushrooms into the centre of each tart as shown in the picture below.
In order for the pastry to get a nice golden glow when cooking, brush the borders of each tart with dairy-free milk.
All that is left to do is to cook the tarts in the oven for 20-25mins and devour them afterwards!
Here are mushroom recipes you may like to try:
- MUSHROOM POLENTA TART [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- CREAMY MUSHROOMS ON TOAST [VEGAN]
- VEGAN PÂTÉ [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- ASIAN MUSHROOM WELLINGTON [VEGAN]
- SHIITAKE & KALE MISO SOUP [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
I hope you enjoy this mushroom tart recipe as much as we do. If you do make it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Mushroom Tarts [vegan]
- Frying pan
- baking tray
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 100 g shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 350 g frozen or fresh mushrooms (I used a mixture of button, chestnut, nameko and shiitake mushrooms)
- 50 g walnuts
- 320 g vegan puffed pastry (I used Jus-Rol's Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheet)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- dairy-free milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add finely sliced shallots and fry gently until soft.
- Add finely chopped garlic and sliced mushrooms.
- Sautée under medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Roll out the puffed pastry while the mushrooms are cooking. Cut the pastry into six equal-sized rectangles.
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet. Arrange the six tarts on top of the baking sheet.
- With a sharp knife score a 1.5cm / ½ inch border around the edges of each rectangle. Make sure to NOT cut right through the pastry. (see the picture in the introduction)
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the roughly chopped walnuts to the pan. Season with lemon juice plus salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Share the mushroom mixture evenly between each tart piling the mushrooms into the centre of each tart.
- Brush the borders of each tart with dairy-free milk.
- Place in the oven for 20-25mins until tarts are golden.
- Serve hot with a side salad.
I cannot wait to see your posts!