This Organic Beetroot Cake with Coconut Orange Frosting is so yummy and indulgent.
If you love carrot cake then you will love this Organic Beetroot Cake with Coconut Orange Frosting. So yummy and indulgent.
Still, it is loaded with vegetables, fruits and nuts so it can almost count as one of your 5-a-day!
I created this recipe as part of my #OrganicUnboxed campaign. I was sent a generous box of organic vegan products and asked to create a recipe with it. The box could not have arrived at a better time as I am in week 3 of Veganuary. You can read all about my #OrganicUnboxed challenge here.
There was a fantastic selection of organic brands in my box such as Abel & Cole, Rebel Kitchen, Biona, Vinceremos, Plenish and Marriage’s.
To make this cake recipe I used some organic beetroot from Abel & Cole, some organic flours from Marriage’s and some organic coconut oil and coconut milk from Biona. The result is a delicious fruity and nutty cake with an indulgent frosting. Enjoy!
Organic Beetroot Cake with Coconut Orange Frosting [vegan]
- 250 g organic beetroot – I used Abel & Cole
- 125 g organic plain white flour – I used Marriage's
- 125 g organic plain brown flour – I used Marriage's
- 190 g organic golden caster sugar
- 125 g organic crushed pineapple
- 125 g organic raisins
- 1 organic orange – juice for frosting + zest for cake
- 75 g organic walnuts
- 125 ml melted coconut oil – I used- Biona
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp mixed ground spices
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 chia eggs
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 400 ml can of full fat coconut milk – refrigerated overnight – I used Biona
- 125 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Make the chia egg by mixing 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Mix well. Set aside.
- Place raisins in a bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside.
- Grate beetroot.
- Place white and brown flour in a large bowl (you can use a food processor or mix the cake by hand).
- Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mixed ground spices.
- Stir in grated beetroot, crushed pineapple, vanilla extract, melted coconut oil and chia eggs.
- Drain raisins. Add to cake mixture followed by chopped walnuts and orange zest.
- Line a 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin with parchment paper.
- Spread cake mixture evenly in the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool for 10 mins in the tin. Then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Make coconut frosting, once the cake has cooled completely.
TO MAKE FROSTING:
- Carefully open the refrigerated coconut milk can. The coconut water should be at the bottom and fatty hardened coconut milk at the top. (this varies from one coconut can to another, so if it is all liquid you'll have to take another can)
- With a spoon carefully remove the hardened coconut milk at the top of the can and place it in a refrigerated bowl. You can keep coconut water for a smoothie.
- Whisk coconut milk until combined and creamy.
- Beat in icing sugar and juice of the orange until the frosting is thick and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Spread frosting evenly all over the cake. Put cake in the fridge until icing is set.
I cannot wait to see your posts!