This Plum & Apple combo is my new favourite jam. I made a first batch last month which crashed on the floor as I was photographing it. Heartbreaking!
So this is a second batch with the last of our garden apples. It survived the photo shoot and is now sitting safely on a shelf, waiting to be eaten.
Plum & Apple Jam [vegan]
- jam jar
- heavy bottom pan or preserve pan
- 1 kg plum
- 500 g apples
- 1 kg caster sugar
- 1 lemon juice
- Cut the plum in quarters. Remove pits and place in a large saucepan.
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- Place in saucepan with the plums. Add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- When you are ready to make the jam, sterilise the jars first and put some saucer plates in the freezer. To sterilise the jars you can plunge them in a large pan of boiling water for 10 mins. Alternatively you can also wash them in warm soapy water, rinse them and put them on a baking tray in the oven heated up at 100°C/225°F/gas ¼ for 10 mins. Make sure everything is very clean. You do not want to do this too far in advance as the jars should be warm when the jam is poured into them.
- Heat the fruits under medium to high heat until the mixture reaches boiling point. Carry on boiling jam for 20 mins stirring occasionally so that the jam does not stick to the bottom of the pan. From then on, check setting point every 5 minutes or so.
- To test if the jam has set, put a teaspoon of jam on one of the cold saucer. Let it cool for a minute. The jam is done when it wrinkles when pushed with your finger.
- Pour jam in the sterilised jars. Cover with waxed paper and seal.
- Store in a cool and dry place away from the light. Keep in the fridge once opened.
I cannot wait to see your posts!