Just love the deep colour of tender purple sprouting broccoli against the creamy butter bean mash. A tangy caper vinaigrette adds tons of bold flavours.
Just love the deep colour of tender purple sprouting broccoli against the creamy butter bean mash. A generous drizzle of tangy caper vinaigrette adds tons of bold flavours.
Quick and easy, it makes a filling and comforting lunch or dinner.
The list of ingredients is a bit long I admit, but nothing obscure here, simple everyday staples you should have in your storecupboard.
This Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Butter Bean Mash dish is best eaten warm. You can have it on the table in less than 30 mins by making the butter bean mash first and while it is cooking, boil the broccoli and make the vinaigrette.
Purple Sprouting Broccoli with Butter Bean Mash [vegan] [gluten free]
- 2 saucepans
- mixing bowl
- 250 g purple sprouting broccoli
BUTTER BEAN MASH:
- olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 800 g can of butter beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of dairy-free milk
- salt & pepper
- 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 10 g finely chopped shallots
- 1 heaped tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 Tbsp capers
TOPPINGS / ADD-ONS:
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
TO MAKE THE BUTTER BEAN MASH:
- Heat some oil in a small pan. Add finely chopped onion and fry gently until soft. Add rinsed and drained butter beans followed by crushed garlic. Cook gently for 3 minutes. Using a potato masher, crush the butter beans to a soft texture. Add lemon juice, 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and 2 Tbsp dairy-free milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To cook the purple sprouting broccoli:
- While the beans are cooking, heat water in a medium pan. When water is boiling, add the purple sprouting broccoli and cook for 8-12 mins until soft. they should still have a slight bite.
TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together, keeping one tablespoon of capers aside. Chop the remaining tablespoon of capers and blend into the vinaigrette.
- Pile butter bean mash and purple sprouting broccoli on a serving dish. Add roasted red pepper and seeds. Serve drizzled with the vinaigrette. This dish is best eaten warm.
I cannot wait to see your posts!