Expect lots of flavours from this tasty Rainbow Chard Barley Salad with Ginger Tahini Dressing.
Expect lots of flavours from this tasty Rainbow Chard Barley Salad with Ginger Tahini Dressing. It is loaded with vegetables, raisins, pecan nuts and tossed in a creamy ginger and tahini dressing.
Chard is a powerhouse of nutrients such as vitamins K, A & C along with calcium, magnesium and antioxidants.
When cooking chard, you need to cook the tender leaves and chunky stalks separately.
This salad can be made with rainbow chard or Swiss chard.
It is best eaten warm or at room temperature.
Rainbow Chard Barley Salad with Ginger Tahini Dressing [vegan]
- Frying pan
- mixing bowl
- 200 g rainbow chard or Swiss chard
- 225 g mushrooms
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 250 g pearl barley
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 2 handfuls of raisins
- 2 handfuls of pecan nuts
- small bunch of coriander or parsley
- olive oil
GINGER TAHINI DRESSING:
- 2 Tbsp tahini paste
- 2 Tbsp water
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger root
- salt & pepper
- Heat some water in a saucepan. When boiling, add the pearl barley and cook as per packet instructions. Cooking time may vary. Mine cooked in 20mins. The pearl barley should be cooked but retain a bite. When done, drain well and set aside in a salad bowl.
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry until soft.
- Remove the stalks of the rainbow chard and cut them into small chunks. Keep leaves aside.
- Add the stalks to the frying pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the raisins. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Make dressing by mixing together tahini, water, lemon juice, crushed garlic, maple syrup, vinegar and grated ginger.
- When done add the cooked vegetables on top of the barley. Mix well.
- Add the quartered tomatoes, dressing, chopped coriander (or parsley) and pecan nuts. Season to taste.
- This salad is best eaten warm or at room temperature.
I cannot wait to see your posts!