I love the rich colours of butternut and kale. Together they make a delicious combination.
It was hard to refuse as I am originally from Franche Comté a region in the East of France. It is a very picturesque area of mountains, pastures and forests. We are very proud of our cheese which was granted Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée (AOC) status in 1958. The production is based on traditional methods and uses high-quality milk sourced from specific grass-fed cow breeds.
A strong and hard cheese, Comté makes a superb addition to any cheese board but also melts beautifully so you can add it to quiches, cakes, gratins etc..
It is also one of my kids’ favourite cheese. I started them on Comté early on ( 🙂 ) as it is very high in calcium (910 mg / 100g cheese).
Here in the UK, you can buy Comté from specialist cheese shops and some supermarkets.
For this recipe, I used 24-month old Comté. It pairs perfectly with the pecan, pomegranate and cumin flavours. Sumac adds a nice tangy twist, while butternut and kale have a definite Autumn feel.
Roasted Butternut, Kale & Comté Salad [flexitarian] [gluten free]
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- 500 g butternut squash
- 2 handfuls of kale leaves – tough stalks removed
- 2 handfuls of pomegranate seeds
- 1 handful pecan
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 100 g Comté cut into shavings
- 100 g greek yoghurt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil + extra for roasting
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- 1 Tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp honey
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Peel and remove the seeds of the butternut squash. Cut lengthwise into 1 cm [0.4 inches] thick slices. Place in a roasting dish with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Toss until the butternut squash is coated all over. Cook for around 30mins until tender and lightly browned.
- Make the dressing by mixing together yoghurt, 3 Tbsp olive oil, lime juice, crushed garlic, sumac, cumin and honey. Season to taste.
- Transfer the cooked butternut to a large serving plate. Add the roughly chopped kale and dressing. Toss together.
- Make the Comté shavings by cutting cheese with a vegetable peeler.
- Sprinkle the pomegranate, pecan, Comté shavings and coriander leaves on top of the salad.
- Serve at room temperature.
I cannot wait to see your posts!