Give plain hummus an autumnal twist with this roasted butternut squash hummus recipe. Smokey and creamy, it is not only delicious as a dip, but also doubles up as a tasty sandwich or wrap spread.
Give plain hummus an autumnal twist with this roasted butternut squash hummus recipe. Smokey and creamy, it is not only delicious as a dip but also doubles up as a tasty sandwich or wrap spread.
Butternut squash is the quintessential autumn vegetable. It has a delicious hazelnut flavour that deepens when roasting. It is really versatile and is perfect for curries, soups or even salads. You can also add it to mash or cook it on its own in pies and savoury tarts.
For this recipe, I decided to combine it with coriander, cumin, curry powder and smoked paprika. Bursting with flavour, I like to serve this dip topped with extra roasted butternut squash, plenty of fresh coriander and a dash of smoked paprika.
You can adjust the texture by choosing to blend the mixture a little less or more. To get a perfect consistency, you might want to season it first with lemon juice, adding the chickpea juices afterwards to get it just right.
Hummus is my to-go snack and this roasted butternut squash hummus makes a tasty addition to my hummus rotation.
I always keep a bowl of hummus in the fridge to eat with pita bread or with raw or roasted vegetables. I never get tired of it. It is one of my favourite post-workout snacks.
When I am in a rush and need to prepare a quick packed lunch for the kids then a hummus sandwich is almost always the answer.
Hummus is so quick and cheap to make, that most of the time I prefer making my own rather than buying a store-bought version.
Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus [vegan] [gluten free]
- oven tray
- 275 g butternut squash peeled and cut in 2cm dice [0.78 inch]
- olive oil
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- juice of 1 to 2 lemons
- salt to taste
- Fresh coriander
- smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to Fan 180°C / 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Place diced butternut squash on an oven tray and roast for 25 mins.
- Drain chickpeas reserving the chickpea juice in a bowl. (Reserve a few for serving)
- Place drained chickpeas in a blender, alongside ground coriander, cumin, curry power, smoked paprika, chopped garlic cloves and tahini. Add roasted butternut squash (reserving a handful to top the hummus with before serving) and 3 Tbsp of the reserved chickpea juice.
- Blend everything to a smooth paste. Season with lemon juice and salt. If needed, you can add more chickpea juice or water to get your preferred consistency. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Top the hummus with the reserved roasted butternut squash and chickpeas, chopped fresh coriander, a dash of smoked paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.
I cannot wait to see your posts!