This vegan spinach and bean chipotle casserole is just so delicious.
This vegan spinach and bean chipotle casserole is just so delicious. Inspired by Mexican cuisine, it is loaded with iron and plant-based protein and makes a complete meal.
Ready in 35 mins or less, it is a perfect dinner for when you have no time to linger into the kitchen but still want a hearty meal.
Make it spicy or not by playing around with the amount of chipotle you add to this casserole. You can use any type of white beans such as butter beans or cannellini beans.
I usually serve this Spinach & Bean Chipotle Casserole with some crunchy bread to soak up the tasty juices.
Spinach & Bean Chipotle Casserole [vegan]
- large pan
- 800 g cans of white beans
- 260 g spinach leaves – washed & dried
- 800 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 100 g bulgur
- 1 onion
- 3 large garlic cloves – crushed
- 500 ml water
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 chipolte
- juice of 2 limes
- bunch of coriander
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic with paprika and cumin until golden and soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bulgur, spinach and water. Add oregano and crushed chipolte.
- Bring to boil. Cook under medium heat until bulgur is cooked and liquid has thicken (around 15 mins).
- Rinse and drain the beans. Tip on top of spinach mixture.
- Cook for another 3 mins or so until the beans are hot.
- Add the lime juice. Season to taste.
- Serve with fresh coriander sprinkled on top and with some crusty bread.
I cannot wait to see your posts!