These Steamed Sweet Potato Rice Balls are super light and delicious.
These Steamed Sweet Potato Rice Balls are super light and delicious. They have a scrumptious curry taste and are served with a fresh and herby yoghurt dip that the whole family can enjoy. Each sweet potato ball is coated with rice grains which expands while cooking in the steamer resulting in them looking spiky.
This is a healthy vegetarian, gluten-free and oil-free recipe, using coconut flour, curry and rice. You can easily make it dairy-free by using coconut yoghurt instead of Greek yoghurt. Steaming is a great way to preserve nutrients and eat healthily. It also makes food very light which is perfect for this recipe.
Make sure you soak the rice first so it cooks properly afterwards.
I created this recipe for Sage Appliances using The Steam Zone steamer. You can read my review here.
If you do not have an electric steamer, you can also make this recipe in steaming baskets placed over pans of boiling water.
Steamed Sweet Potato Rice Balls with Sage™ The Steam Zone [vegetarian] [gluten free]
- mixing boel
- 500 g sweet potato
- 125 g uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 eggs
- 4 – 5 Tbsp coconut flour
- 8 Tbsp greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- juice 1 to 2 lemons
- 1/2 cucumber
- 5 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 garlic clove – crushed
- chilli powder to taste
- salt & pepper
- Place rice in a bowl. Cover with water and leave to rest for 30 mins.
- In the meantime, peel sweet potatoes and cut in 1cm [0.4 inch] dice. Place in steamer basket and cook on high heat for 12-15mins until soft enough to mash.
- When done transfer the sweet potatoes to a bowl and let them cool down for 5 mins.
- Mash sweet potatoes with a fork or potato masher. Add curry powder, turmeric, garlic powder, tomato paste and eggs. Mix well. Season to taste.
- Add coconut flour one tablespoon at a time. Mix after each tablespoon, until you have a thick paste that is not too sticky and that you can easily roll into balls by hands.
- Drain and rinse rice well. Place on a plate. Roll each sweet potato ball in the rice so that to cover it all over.
- Place sweet potato rice balls on steamer tray.
- Cook for 25 – 30 mins on High Heat.
- When done these sweet potato rice balls will resemble cute sea urchins!
- While everything is steaming away, make the yoghurt dip. Grate the cucumber with the coarse side of a cheese grater. Mix in all the other ingredients. Season to taste.
- Serve the steamed sweet potato rice balls as soon as they are done with the yoghurt dip on the side.
I cannot wait to see your posts!