A one-pot wonder this vegan sweet potato & chickpea Moroccan stew, makes a quick and healthy family meal.
A one-pot wonder this vegan sweet potato & chickpea Moroccan stew, makes a quick and healthy family meal. I like to serve it with couscous (or quinoa) topped with plenty of sliced almonds, freshly chopped coriander, mint, (dairy-free) yoghurt and red chilis. This dish is also great on its own served with flatbread.
Bright and colourful, this is such a feel-good and comforting recipe. The spices bring out the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes. You can also make this dish with butternut squash or even pumpkin.
I am a big fan of one-pot meals as they can be prepared with minimum fuss creating and they produce also very little washing up.
How to make this sweet potato & chickpea Moroccan stew
This is a straightforward dish to cook. The base is made from onion gently fried in oil with ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and paprika.
The sweet potato and red pepper are then simmered with raisins in a light tomato sauce for 15 minutes.
While the stew is cooking, you can prepare some couscous to serve it with.
The chickpeas are added last, and you can then season to taste this sweet potato & chickpea Moroccan stew with lime juice and salt.
Serve with couscous topped with plenty of sliced almonds, freshly chopped coriander, mint, (dairy-free) yoghurt and maybe some red chilis if you like a bit of a kick.
Are sweet potatoes good for you?
Yes! Sweet potatoes are rich in fibres, minerals and vitamins. They are a good source of beta-carotene, vitamin B and C, as well as antioxidants. In spite of being sweeter, cooked sweet potatoes have a lower GI than white potatoes. (Be careful though as baking sweet potatoes doubles their GI).
Hearty and flavoursome, this plant-based sweet potato & chickpea Moroccan stew will delight meat-eaters too. Warmed up the next day, this dish makes great leftovers too!
Here are more chickpea recipes you may like to try:
- CHICKPEA SALAD
- CHICKPEA STEW [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- GOLDEN RICE BOWL WITH KALE AND HARISSA CHICKPEAS [VEGAN]
- MOROCCAN CHICKPEA SALAD WITH CARROTS [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
I hope you enjoy this sweet potato & chickpea Moroccan stew recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Moroccan Stew [vegan]
- large saucepan
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 500 g sweet potato
- 1 red pepper
- 3 garlic – crushed
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 75 g raisins
- 400 g can chickpeas
- lime juice
- sliced almonds
- fresh coriander
- red chilis -optional
- fresh mint
- dairy free yoghurt
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut in 1.5cm [0.6 inch dice]. Deseed red pepper and cut in 1.5cm [0.6 inch dice].
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and fry gently for a couple of minutes. Add ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and paprika. Fry gently for 3 minutes to release aromas.
- Add diced sweet potato and red pepper. Add crushed garlic, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and raisins. Bring to the boil and cook half-covered under medium heat for 15 mins. Keep on cooking uncovered under medium heat for another 10-15 mins until sweet potatoes are cooked and liquid has thickened slightly. Stir the pan every now and then, so vegetables do not stick to the bottom.
- Add drained chickpeas and season to taste with lime juice and salt.
- Serve with couscous topped with plenty of sliced almonds, freshly chopped coriander, mint, (dairy free) yoghurt and red chilis if using.
I cannot wait to see your posts!