This lightly spiced Sweet Potato & Lentil Curry is ideal on a cold winter day.
This lightly spiced Sweet Potato & Lentil Curry is ideal on a cold winter day. It has a comforting coconut milk base as well as chickpeas and lentils for added protein.
This is an easy one-pot midweek dinner that the whole family can enjoy. This recipe is best made the day before so the flavours can develop. It makes scrumptious leftovers for lunch boxes too!
I like to serve this Sweet Potato & Lentil Curry with black rice which not only has a delicious nutty flavour but also enhance to rich and deep orange tones of this dish.
Enjoy with plenty of fresh coriander sprinkled on top.
Sweet Potato & Lentil Curry [vegan] [gluten free]
- large saucepan
- 500 g sweet potatoes
- 175 g green lentils
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chilli flakes – according to how hot you prefer it
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin chickpeas
- 400 ml coconut milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- large bunch of fresh coriander to serve
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, garam masala and grated ginger. Fry gently for 3 mins.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them in 2cm dice [0.75 inch].
- Add the diced sweet potatoes and lentils to the onion mixture. Top with the vegetable stock, chilli flakes and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to boil, then cook half covered under medium to high heat for 20-25 mins until sweet potatoes and lentils are cooked. They should still have a bite.
- Add the drained chickpeas and coconut milk.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve with black rice and a generous sprinkle of chopped fresh coriander on top.
- Best made the day before so the flavours can develop.
I cannot wait to see your posts!