Ginger, lemongrass, lime and turmeric bring an Asian twist to this sweet potato soup.
Ginger, lemongrass, lime and turmeric bring an Asian twist to this sweet potato soup. It has a very light creamy texture (from the coconut milk) and a hearty mushroom, kale and black eye pea topping.
This is comfort food at its best: warming, nutritious and tasty.
Serve it on its own or with some crusty bread.
The topping quantities are for six servings. If you do not eat the whole soup on the same day, just cook the amount of topping you need just before each meal.
Sweet Potato Soup with Mushroom, Kale & Bean Topping [vegan] [gluten free]
- large saucepan
- handheld immersion blender
- 400 g sweet potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 3 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 thumb of freshly grated ginger
- 2 lemongrass
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 to 2 Tbsp soy sauce according to tatse
- juice of 1 1/2 lime
- cayenne pepper
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock
- 300 g mushrooms
- 200 g cavolo nero or kale – tough stems removed
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic cloves
- 400 g can black eye peas
- fresh coriander to serve
- fresh lime to serve
- olive oil
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the finely cut onion, 4 crushed garlic cloves, turmeric, ginger, very finely chopped lemongrass, ground cumin and ground coriander. Fry gently until soft.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes and carrots. De-seed the red pepper and cut it into chunks.
- Add the vegetables to the pan. Fry for a minute then add the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and cook covered for around 20 mins until the vegetables are soft.
- 5 minutes before the soup is done, heat some olive oil in a frying pan. Add the finely chopped red onion and 1 crushed garlic clove. Fry gently.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and the cavolo nero / kale. Stir fry until cooked. Add the drained black eye peas and cook until they are hot. Season to taste with salt & cayenne pepper.
- Liquidise the soup when the vegetables are cooked. Add the coconut milk. Season to taste with the soy sauce, lime juice, salt & cayenne pepper.
- Pour the soup into bowls. Top with the vegetable topping.
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of chopped fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice on top.
I cannot wait to see your posts!