Perfectly moist and fruity, this apple cake is topped with a crunchy toasted almond layer.
Oh how much I love this apple cake! Perfectly moist and fruity and topped with a crunchy toasted almond layer. Ever so moreish, with a very Autumnal feel!
It is perfect for dessert, tea/coffee break, after school snack or simply as a treat.
Best cooked the day before, it will keep for days.
The Most Delicious Apple Cake [vegan]
- mixing bowl
- 1 springform cake tin ( ⌀ 23cm / 9 inches)
- food processor or mixing bowl
- 600 g cooking apples
- 250 g plain flour
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 1 overripe banana
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 chia eggs [2 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp almond milk
- 90 g flaked almonds
- 75 g golden caster sugar
- 50 g dairy-free butter + extra for greasing
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Make the chia eggs by mixing together 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside.
- Line the bottom of a springform cake tin ( ⌀ 23cm / 9in) with baking sheet. Grease well all over.
- In the bowl of a food processor mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and 200g of golden caster sugar.
- Mash the banana. Mix in a bowl with the vegetable oil and vanilla. Set aside.
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into thin slices.
- Mix the banana mixture in the flour, followed by the chia eggs and the almong milk.
- With a wooden spoon, gently mix the apple slices in the cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake tin. Spread evenly.
- Cook in the oven for 30 mins.
- 5 mins before the end, melt the dairy-free butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and almond flakes. Mix well together.
- When the cake is ready, spread the almond mixture evenly on top of cake.
- Return the apple cake to the oven for another 10 mins until top is golden and crisp and an inserted cake skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool down in its tin then carefully remove sides of the spring form cake pan. Run a palette or rounded knife on the inside edge of the cake pan first to make sure the cake comes out neatly. Cool completely.
I cannot wait to see your posts!