With a heap of seasonal vegetables, this Tomato & Kale Pasta recipe makes a hearty and healthy dinner or lunch.
With a heap of seasonal vegetables, this Tomato & Kale Pasta recipe makes a hearty and healthy dinner or lunch. I cook the tomatoes separately from the kale so to caramelise them slightly.
I got the inspiration straight out of last week’s CSA box from Sutton Community Farm. The kale and tomatoes are grown 5 mins walk from my house. How is that for local and seasonal food!
Here I have used a mix of green and black kale (removing the hard stalks and chopping the leaves finely ) and added chickpeas for proteins (you could substitute them for butter beans or cannellini bean if you prefer).
This dish is so easy and straightforward to prepare that even if you are busy, there is no excuse not to make it. All the ingredients are classic storecupboard staples. Any leftovers will reheat brilliantly the next day.
Vegans can substitute the parmesan with nutritional yeast. Don’t skip the capers and the chilli oil (for a nice little kick of heat — don’t be shy) as they add plenty of flavours. If you feel inclined you even can toast the pine nuts before adding them to the pasta.
This Tomato & Kale Pasta makes 4 generous portions. Dive in!
Tomato & Kale Pasta [vegetarian]
- 2 frying pans
- large pan
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 250 g kale leaves only – no hard stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 300 g whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 400 g can chickpeas
- 4 Tbsp drained capers
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 handfuls of pine nuts
- Chilli oil or chilli flakes with olive oil
- Vegetarian parmesan or nutritional yeast for vegans
- Heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add finely chopped onion and fry for a couple of minutes. Add chopped kale leaves and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Cook covered, stirring often until kale leaves are soft.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in another frying pan. Add cherry tomatoes cut in halves and crushed garlic cloves. Cook for 10 mins until tomatoes are cooked. Add drained chickpeas and capers. Stir. Season with lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, heat some water in a large saucepan. When boiling add the spaghetti and cook as per packet instructions until done.
- Mix tomato mixture with kale.
- Drain pasta and mix in with the vegetables.
- Serve the pasta topped with pine nuts, chilli oil and vegetarian parmesan (or nutritional yeast for vegans)
I cannot wait to see your posts!