Overripe bananas are perfect to make this moist vegan choc chip banana bread. Filled with yummy dark chocolate chips it is gooey and completely moreish.
Overripe bananas are perfect to make this moist vegan choc chip banana bread. Filled with yummy dark chocolate chips it is gooey and completely moreish. What a special treat! It doubles up as dessert and as an indulgent breakfast.
I love making banana bread, not only because it fills the kitchen with wonderful smells while cooking but also because it is my most favourite way not to waste overripe bananas. It is also a favourite treat for my kids and they love finding a slice in their lunchbox as a treat.
For this vegan choc chip banana bread recipe I added dark chocolate chips in the cake mix and on top of the cake .. simply because why not?!
This is really an easy and straightforward recipe. Just make sure to avoid any lumps by hand whisking the chia eggs in the mashed bananas until you have a smooth texture.
For a vegetarian option, you can replace the chia eggs with 2 organic eggs.
Don’t throw overripe bananas away. They make the perfect ingredient for vegan cakes as they bind the batter so well you do not have to use eggs. You’ll find more ideas for using them (such as banana bread, muffins, pancakes, smoothies or even ice cream) here.
Vegan Choc Chip Banana Bread
- 2 mixing bowls
- loaf tin
- 2 chia eggs [2 Tbsp ground chia seeds + 6 Tbsp of water]
- 3 overripe bananas [300g / 10.5oz without the skin]
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 200 g self raising flour
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 g dark chocolate chips
- Prepare chia eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 6 Tbsp of water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/350F/Gas 4. Line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Mash overripe bananas with a fork until smooth. Mix in oil, vanilla extract and chia eggs. Hand whisk together until there are no more lumps.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are well combined. Fold in 100g [3.50oz] of chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into the loaf tin. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top. Cook in the oven for around 50-55mins or until an inserted cake skewer comes out completely clean.
I cannot wait to see your posts!