This vegan leek & potato soup is creamy and velvety without the need for dairy.
This vegan leek & potato soup is creamy and velvety without the need for dairy. Instead, I have added some cashew nuts and soya cream to give it an extra-smooth texture.
I like to serve this soup topped with some sautéed leeks, croutons and a dollop of soya cream. A classic comfort food, plant-based style!
This is the perfect recipe to use ingredients for your weekly vegetable box.
I make soups regularly at home and my kids are not always thrilled! But soups are so nutritious and making a big pot ahead saves me time during the week.
Soups are also ideal to rescue tired vegetables and diverse leftovers. I like to mix together any vegetables that are past their prime, avoiding of course anything too hairy or that has started to rot. I will also throw in roasted, steamed, frozen vegetables, as well as scraps of meat that have been left behind. In less than 40 minutes I can produce a delicious and nutritious meal, satisfied that I have not wasted any food and have been cleverly thrifty.
The good news is that, unless you are making a specific dish, you do not necessarily need a recipe to make a soup. Soup is hard to get wrong, still, there are a few simple rules to follow. Check out this article I wrote on how to make soup without a recipe.
How to make this vegan leek & potato soup
The leeks and potatoes are first cooked with some olive oil. Once the leeks start to soften add the vegetable stock, thyme and cashews.
While everything is simmering away, you can start gently frying the leeks that will be used for the topping. These are sautéed with some olive oil in a pan and seasoned simply with salt and pepper. They are not necessary but make this recipe a bit more special.
Once the vegetables are cooked, you can liquidise the soup directly in the saucepan by using a handheld immersion blender (such as this Kenwood Hand Blender *). Alternatively, you can use a regular blender.
You can adjust the texture of the soup by adding a bit more vegetable stock if needed.
Here are more soup recipes you may like to try
I hope you enjoy this vegan leek & potato soup as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Vegan Leek & Potato Soup
- 1 large saucepan
- 1 Frying pan
- 400 g leeks
- 400 g potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 100 g unsalted cashews
- 250 ml soya cream
- salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 150 g leeks
- extra soya cream
- Cut the leeks into fine slices. Peel and cut the potatoes into small dice.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the sliced leeks and diced potatoes. Fry gently for 5mins until the leeks start to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock, dry thyme and cashews. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
- If you are making the toppings, cut 150g / 5.3oz of leeks into thin slices. Add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan. Add the leeks to the pan and fry the leeks under medium heat until soft while the soup is cooking. When done, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once the soup vegetables are cooked, liquidise the soup with a handheld immersion blender or a regular blender.
- Add the soya cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. You can adjust the texture of the soup by adding a bit more vegetable stock if needed.
- Serve the soup topped with the sautéed leeks, croutons and some soya cream.
I cannot wait to see your posts!