A creamy vegan twist on the classic mushroom stroganoff. Hearty and utterly delicious.
Hearty and utterly delicious, this vegan mushroom stroganoff makes a speedy and comforting dinner. The mushrooms are smothered in a creamy homemade cashew cream that is really quick to make and requires no pre-soaking.
I like to serve this dish with rice topped with freshly chopped parsley. Delish!
How to make this vegan mushroom stroganoff
First, you will need to soak the cashews into boiling water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
The base of this dish is an onion and garlic mixture cooked with smoked paprika and regular paprika.
The mushrooms are fried on their own in vegetable oil until they are nicely brown all over. Make sure you use a fairly large saucepan so you can cook all the mushrooms together at once.
Once the mushrooms are nicely coloured, they will need to simmer gently with the onion mixture in some vegetable stock. At this stage, I add Dijon mustard, tamari sauce and lemon zest for some extra flavour and depth. While the stroganoff is gently bubbling away, you can prepare the cashew cream.
To do this you will need to transfer the cashews and water to a blender and whizz until you have a smooth creamy liquid. It should have the consistency of single cream. The cashew cream is then added to the pan and left to simmer for another 5 mins.
I have not added a step in the method below for when to cook the rice, as this is completely dependent on the type of rice you are using and how long it takes to cook.
Here are more mushroom recipes you may like to try:
- MUSHROOM POLENTA TART [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- CREAMY MUSHROOMS ON TOAST [VEGAN]
- VEGAN PÂTÉ [VEGAN] [GLUTEN FREE]
- ASIAN MUSHROOM WELLINGTON [VEGAN]
I hope you enjoy this vegan mushroom stroganoff recipe as much as we do. If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram!
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- 1 large saucepan
- 2 small bowls
- 100 g cashews
- 200 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 600 g mushrooms
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp tamari sauce
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Lemon juice to taste
- 2 handfuls of chopped parsley
- Put the cashews in a bowl. Add 200 ml of boiling water. Leave to soak covered while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- Add 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil to a large saucepan. Add the finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry gently until soft. Add the smoked paprika and regular paprika. Fry gently for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add 3 Tbsp of vegetable oil to the saucepan. Add the sliced mushrooms and fry until brown all over.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, return the onion mixture to the pan. Add the vegetable stock, Dijon mustard, tamari sauce and lemon zest. Leave to simmer while you make the cashew cream.
- Put the cashews and water in a blender and whizz until you have a smooth creamy liquid. Add the cashew cream to the mushroom and leave to simmer for another 5 mins.
- Season to taste with lemon juice and salt if needed.
- Serve with rice, topped with freshly chopped parsley.
I cannot wait to see your posts!