One of our late Summer treats is to go pick our own corn. My kids love running through the fields, harvesting as many cobs as they can. Invariably, we, of course, end up with way too many so I am always on the lookout for new recipes.
I guess us French people are not generally very inventive with corn. We’ll boil it on the cob or add it to salads. That’s about it. It was only when I lived in the US that I realised how much more there was to it and I started enjoying chowders, creative salads, breads and of course some memorable Thanksgiving’s cornbread stuffing.
I much prefer cooking with fresh corn even though you can often use frozen or canned as substitute. Fresh simply has more taste and crunch, and to my mind is worth the extra effort. I am always look out for organic in order to avoid GM crops which have unfortunately become the norm.
Amongst our family’s favourite meals is the Tortilla Lasagna [vegetarian] by Vegetarian Times below. I really recommend you try it (just make sure to use corn tortillas as the dish will hold better). My vegan Indian Summer Mexican Stew is loaded with seasonal vegetables and is also very popular. Of course as the weather is getting colder, soups are back on the menu and the selection below never fails to disappoint.
Here are 25 amazing recipes for you to enjoy. Don’t hesitate to share more of your own inspiration in the comment box below.
- Tortilla Lasagna [vegetarian] by Vegetarian Times
- Indian Summer Mexican Stew [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Sweetcorn Fritters [vegetarian] by Good To Know
- Roasted Corn Risotto with Smoked Paprika [vegetarian] by Amuse Your Bouche
CORN ON THE COB
- Corn-on-the-Cob with Lime-Chive Butter [vegetarian] by Bon Appétit
- 6 Toppings to Make Your Grilled Corn Even More Magical via The Kitchn
- Lemon-Garlic Glazed Corn-on-the-Cob [vegetarian] by Eating Well
- Caribbean Style Corn On The Cob [flexitarian] by StreetSmart Kitchen
- Spiced Corn-on-the-Cob [vegetarian] by Olive Magazine
- Pumpkin Soup with Tomato, Sweetcorn and Coriander Salsa [vegetarian] via Sainsbury’s Magazine
- Sweetcorn and sweet potato chowder with crispy tortillas [vegetarian] by Riverford
- Vegan Corn Chowder by Veggie Desserts
- Spicy Salad with Grilled Corn on the Cob [vegan] by Tesco
- Sweetcorn and Tomato Salad with Fresh Cilantro [vegan] by Epicurious
- Zucchini and Fresh Corn Farmers’ Market Salad with Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette
- Indian Street Corn Salad [vegan] via Food Network
- Cheddar & Sweetcorn Scones [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Cheese, Chilli and Sweetcorn Scones by Tesco
- Corn Bread Recipe With Fresh or Frozen Sweet Corn by The Spruce
- Corn-on-Corn Bread [vegetarian] by MidwestLiving
- Traffic-light Tomato Cornbread [vegetarian] by Anna Jones