This Indian-Spiced Lentils with Spinach and Rhubarb curry is one of our current favourite dish and as rhubarb is in season there is no excuse not to indulge!
This recipe is from Vegetarian Times.
Like most indian food this is better eaten the next day if you can wait!
Serve with some warm indian bread, wholegrain rice or quinoa.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- 2 Tbs. yellow mustard seeds
- 2 ½ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 80g golden raisins
- 100g brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 800ml low-sodium vegetable broth
- 225g fresh rhubarb, cut into ¼-inch slices, or 225g frozen sliced rhubarb, thawed
- 450g baby spinach leaves
- small bunch chopped coriander
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add mustard and cumin seeds. Cover skillet, and cook 2 minutes, or until seeds begin to pop. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more, or until popping stops, shaking skillet often. Remove from heat, stir in ginger and garlic, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and set aside.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and raisins; sauté 10 minutes, or until onions begin to brown. Stir in lentils and 700ml broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 25 minutes. Stir in rhubarb and remaining broth; cook 6 minutes. Add spinach, cover, and cook mixture 6 minutes more. Stir mixture to incorporate rhubarb and spinach leaves, then stir in spice mixture. Serve garnished with coriander.