I love this salad which makes good use of left over bread. Any country crusty type bread around 2 day old, slightly past its best works great here. For vegans you can use Clearspring Organic Red Wine Vinegar.
Prep Time: 10minutes
Rest Time: 30minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 200 g country crusty bread (1 to 2 days old)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small red onion
- 175ml olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch of basil (shredded)
- jar of 290g of kalamata olives (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Cut the bread into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes.
- Cut each tomatoes in 8 slices.
- Cut cucumber in 1cm (1/2 inch) cubes.
- Slice red onion finely.
- Mix all the vegetables and the bread in a large salad bowl.
- In a separate bowl prepare the dressing by mixing olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the vegetable and bread mix. Toss well so that the bread is well coated.
- Add olives plus shredded basil. Toss well to mix.
- Let rest for 30mins before serving.