Full of flavours this tangy vegetarian couscous recipe is inspired from caponata. Lovely addition of preserved lemon. The flavours will develop over time this makes also a great left over lunch or dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 large aubergine (eggplant in the US) (cut in 1cm dices)
- 1 red pepper (cut in 1cm dices)
- 250g cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp caster
- 2 preserved lemons (cut in small dices)
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 small bunch of basil (chopped)
- 240g couscous
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and cook slowly until brown and soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add diced aubergine plus 3 tbsp olive oil. Cook until brown on all sides.
- Add red pepper and cook until just cooked.
- Add cherry tomatoes.
- Turn the stove to medium heat. Add red vinegar and caster sugar. Stir well.
- Add tomato paste, preserved lemons and capers. Stir well.
- Cook slowly for 25 mins or so until juices have thickened.
- Add the chickpeas and let everything cook slowly for another 10 mins or so. You want the juices to be thick but the pepper should not be overcooked.
- Prepare couscous according to packet instructions.
- Just before serving the vegetables add the basil.
- Serve vegetables on a bed of couscous.