Wandering around the farm shop, I love squash at this time of the year. The perfect autumn seasonal food, squash comes in all shapes and forms making warming meals and beautiful home decorations!
As the weather cools down, this is the perfect time for comfort food such as soups, curries and vegetable casseroles.
Here is a list of seasonal food for October and which vegetables and fruits to look for and enjoy. Also I have included some of my favourite recipes. Feel free to share yours with us.
- Artichoke – the easiest and most delicious way I cook it is Artichoke Vinaigrette
- Beetroot – enjoy roasted or in salad, risotto, pasta or vegan cakes.
- Broccoli – eat it raw or cooked. Perfect in salads, soufflés, gratins or simply steamed.
- Butternut Squash – the king of the squash is so versatile you can make soups, curries, casseroles or salads.
- Carrots – eat it raw or cooked. Perfect in salads, soups casseroles etc…
- Celeriac – a favourite in our house. Great roasted, perfect in soups, delicious in gratins.
- Courgette – make the best of the last courgettes.
- Fennel – lovely light anise taste. Eat it raw or cooked.
- Kale – superfood king. Great raw or cooked.
- Leek – perfect in soups, gratins, quiches or simply steamed with a drizzle of vinaigrette.
- Marrow – make a thrifty meal with stuff marrow that will feed a crowd.
- Parsnip – perfect for soups or simply roasted.
- Pumpkin – another squash delicious in soups, curries, casseroles or cakes.
- Runner Bean – enjoy the end of season.
- Swede & Turnip – makes a nice addition to soups. You can also simply fry it in butter.
- Wild Mushrooms – perfect seasonal foraging food.
Recipes To Try This October
What is your favourite squash recipe? Share it with us in the comments box below