Here is a list of seasonal food for December and which vegetables and fruits to look for and enjoy. I have added some fruits such as clementines, cranberries, passion fruits and pomegranate. Even though they are imported, the holiday season would not be (to my mind) complete without them. Also I have included some of my favourite recipes. Feel free to share yours with us.
- Beetroot – enjoy roasted or in salad, risotto, pasta or vegan cakes.
- Brussels Sprouts – I find it always funny that some people cannot have Christmas without Brussels sprouts yet avoid them the rest of the year. They are great in casseroles or even in salads.
- Butternut Squash – the king of the squash is so versatile you can make soups, curries, casseroles or salads.
- Cauliflower – Bill Clinton recently recommended “whipped cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes.” Eat it raw or cooked. Perfect in gratin, curries or casseroles.
- Celeriac – a favourite in our house. Great roasted, perfect in soups, delicious in gratins.
- Kale – superfood king. Great raw or cooked.
- Leek – perfect in soups, gratins, quiches or simply steamed with a drizzle of vinaigrette.
- Parsnip – perfect for soups or simply roasted.
- Pumpkin – another squash delicious in soups, curries, casseroles or cakes.
- Swede & Turnip – makes a nice addition to soups. You can also simply fry it in butter.
- Wild Mushrooms – try sautéing them in olive oil with parsley and lemon juice.
- Passion Fruits
Recipes To Try This December