After a long and wet Winter, Spring is almost there! This March there are some great local and seasonal food to enjoy. Look out for vibrant purple sprouting broccoli and make the best of leeks and oranges as their seasons are finishing. For chilly evenings browse our soup selection for some comforting recipes.
What to eat this March:
- Cauliflower – Bill Clinton recommends “whipped cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes.” Eat it raw or cooked. Perfect in gratin, curries or casseroles.
- Celeriac – a favourite in our house. Great roasted, perfect in soups, delicious in gratins.
- Chicory – simply braised or in creamy gratins. My favourite is just plain in a salad.
- Kale – superfood king. Great raw or cooked.
- Leek – perfect in soups, gratins, quiches or simply steamed with a drizzle of vinaigrette.
- Parsnip – perfect for soups or simply roasted.
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli – steam or boiled.
- Swede – makes a nice addition to soups. You can also simply fry it in butter.
- Blood Oranges
- Passion Fruit