British Summer Time is here, bulbs are flowering and the temperature is getting warmer. After a long and wet Winter, Spring has finally arrived! The first British asparagus are making their appearance. They have a short season so make sure you make the best of it. Seasonal favourites also include watercress, spinach, broccoli.
What to eat this April:
- Asparagus – sweet and tender, asparagus can be eaten simply on their own and make great additions to quiches, risottos, pastas, soups etc . . .
- Broccoli – steamed, stir fry or raw broccolis are versatile and so good for you!
- Cauliflower – Bill Clinton recommends “whipped cauliflower as a substitute for mashed potatoes.” Eat it raw or cooked. Perfect in gratin, curries or casseroles.
- Kale – superfood king. Great raw or cooked.
- Leek – perfect in soups, gratins, quiches or simply steamed with a drizzle of vinaigrette.
- Purple Sprouting Broccoli – steam or boiled.
- Radish – young radishes are delicious raw with salt and butter. They also make a great addition to salad.
- Rocket – peppery rocket makes a delicious salad. Use it as a garnish or to accompany other ingredients.
- Spinach – delicious dark green leafy spinach can be eaten in raw or cooked. Too much heat will damage some of its nutritional contents so best to eat it raw (in salads or smoothies) or by steaming it lightly.
- Watercress -bursting with vitamins and minerals, watercress is extremely good for you. Great detox ingredient you can it raw or cooked.
- Passion Fruit
Don’t forget to share your favourite seasonal recipes in the comments box below!