A vegetarian barbecue is a lot of fun. and with many meat-free options available there is no need for vegetarians, vegans and flexitarians to feel left behind.
If the prospect of a big cookout feels a bit daunting just follow these simple rules:
- Keep it simple: instead of mixing too many cuisines, stick to 1 or 2 where flavours complement each other.
- Prepare in advance: don’t leave it to the last minute. Make sure most of the food can be prepared the day before.
- Get organised: put 1 or 2 people in charge of cooking on the barbecue and organise the rest of the food as a buffet.
- Nibble: have something for people to nibble on while they wait for the barbecue to work its magic.
- Keep it relaxed: choose food and dishes that are easy to eat with one hand or standing. Serve food on big sharing platters.
- Start early: make sure the barbecue gets fired up in advance so it has time to heat up. The timing depends on the type of barbecue you have.
Creating the right ambience is also key to an enjoyable alfresco entertaining. Check out these handy tips and tricks on How to Host the Ideal Garden Party.
Below, I have rounded up some of my favourite recipes to cook on the grill. In addition to kebabs, burgers and vegetables cooked on the barbecue, I like to have a selection of salads and dips plus one or two savoury quiches or pies.
65 Recipes To Throw The Perfect Vegetarian Barbecue
- Artichoke and Tomato Panzanella [vegan] by Giada De Laurentiis
- Cherry Hazelnut Orzo Salad [vegetarian] by Kitchen Treaty
- Grilled Halloumi “Fattoush” Salad [vegetarian] by The Flexitarian
- The Ultimate Greek Salad by Food.com
- Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad [vegetarian] by Ines Garten
- Mung and French Bean Salad [vegan] by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Salade Niçoise [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad with Harissa-style Dressing [vegetarian] by Delia Smith
- The Best Pasta Salad [vegan] by Jamie Oliver
- Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Feta [vegetarian] by The Pioneer Woman
- Minty Summer Rice Salad [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Mediterranean Couscous and Lentil Salad [vegetarian] by Epicurious
- Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing [vegetarian] by Cooking Light
- Red Pepper Hummus with Smoked Paprika [vegan] by Rose Elliot
- Smoky Chipotle Cannellini Bean Dip [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Baba Ganoush [vegan] by David Lebovitz
- Labneh [vegetarian] by Simple Provisions
- Spinach, Feta and Artichoke Dip [vegetarian] by Food 52
- Wholly Guacamole [vegan] by Food.com
- Hummus [vegan] by The Simple Veganista
- Asparagus, Sundried Tomato & Olive Loaf [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Spanikopita [vegetarian] by All Recipes
- Mediterranean Quiche [vegetarian] by The Flexitarian
- Caramelised Onion Tartlets with Goats’ Cheese and Thyme [flexitarian] by Delia Smith
- Courgette, Feta and Almond Muffins [vegetarian] by Cook Vegetarian
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart [vegan] by The Flexitarian
- Killer Mexican Barbecued Corn on the Cob [flexitarian] by Jamie Oliver
- Grilled Aubergines with Feta, Mint and Chilli [vegetarian] by Nigella Lawson
- Grilled Portobello [vegan] by All Recipes
- Grilled Courgette & Squash Stacks with Mozzarella, Goat Cheese & Balsamic Drizzle [vegetarian} by Cooking for Keeps
- Stuffed Pepper on the Barbie [flexitarian] by Marie Cadogan
- Garlicky Grilled Kale Salad with Grilled Bread [flexitarian] by The Kitchn
- Grilled Artichokes with Roasted Garlic Olive Oil Dip [vegan] by Oh My Veggies
- Grilled Halloumi with Watermelon and Basil-Mint Oil [vegetarian] by Bon Appetit
- Spicy Grilled Mango with Chiles and Crema [vegetarian] by Cooking Light
- Portobello and Peach Burger [vegan] by Green Kitchen Stories
- The Ultimate Veggie Burger [vegetarian] by Jamie Oliver
- Chickpea & coriander burgers [vegan] by BBC Good Food
- Broad Bean Burger [vegan] by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Quinoa & White Bean Veggie Burger [vegan] by The Simple Veganista
- Open Faced Falafel Burger [vegan] by Cooking Light
- Griddled Glazed Vegetable Kebabs [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Grilled Moroccan Vegetable Skewers [vegan] by Natasha’s Kitchen
- Halloumi Kebabs with Thyme & Lemon Baste [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Toasty Feta Kebabs [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Spiced Paneer Skewers with Green Chilli Sauce [vegetarian] by Olive Magazine
- Devilled Tofu Kebabs [vegetarian] by BBC Good Food
- Minted Tomato, Onion & Glazed Tofu Kebabs [vegan] by Eating Well
- Sesame-Ginger Tofu and Shiitake Kebabs [vegetarian] by Fine Cooking
- Paul Hollywood’s Focaccia [vegan]
- Three Flavour Focaccia [flexitarian] by Jamie Oliver
- Red onion, Gruyère & Rosemary Fougasse [flexitarian] by BBC Good Food
- Fougasse [vegan] by Saveur
- Garlic & Basil Ciabatta [vegetairan] by BBC Good Food
- Caramelised Pineapple with Hot Chocolate Sauce [vegetarian] by Nigella Lawson
- Grilled Fruit Salad with Lime [vegan] by Eat Well Spend Less
- Grilled Peaches with Cinnamon Sugar Butter [vegan] by Bobby Flay
- Grilled Pound Cake Strawberry Shortcake [vegetarian] by The Chic Table
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar [vegetarian] by Home Cooking Memories
- Rhubarb Cordial [vegan] by Sarah Raven
- Raspberry Cordial [vegan] by BBC Good Food
- Rhubarb & Ginger Cordial with Mint & Raspberry Ice [vegan] by Raspberri Cupcakes
- Lemon Water with Fresh Mint by Eat Yourself Skinny
- Elderflower Cordial by River Cottage
- Strawberry Basil Aguas Frescas by Dash of East
For even more inspiration, don’t forget to visit my Vegetarian Barbecue board on Pinterest.
Disclaimer: this post contains sponsored content.