Growing your own herb garden is a fantastic way to ensure a fresh supply of herbs to complement your cooking. Who does not love fresh basil on tomatoes, fresh coriander sprinkled over curries, or a dash of mint in smoothies? Growing your own also helps reduce the amount of leftover herbs that gets wasted in the fridge.
Most herbs are easy to grow and require little attention. They transform garden, patio or windowsill into fragrant heavens which bees and other pollinators love to visit.
Some of my favourite herbs that you can easily grow at home are:
- Thyme – to add a Mediterranean twist.
- Lemon Thyme – lemon twist on the Mediterranean twist.
- Mint – ideal in salad, desserts, smoothies etc.. (look out for different kinds of mint my current favourite is chocolate mint).
- Chives – great in potato salads.
- Rosemary – deep & woody
- Parsley – the quintessential French herb which you can add to any dish.
- Basil – lovely in salads.
- Tarragon – another Mediterranean twist.
- Coriander – for curries, salads etc..
- Sage – delicious in risottos
- Oregano – for anything Greek!
- Lemon Verbena – which I use for tea and drinks.
You can, of course, buy containers to keep your herb garden organised. Yet with a bit of creativity, you can also create it yourself. Here are some of my favourite ideas that you can easily make at home.
HERB GARDEN IDEAS FOR WINDOWSILLS
HERB GARDEN IDEAS FOR SMALL SPACES
HERB GARDEN IDEAS FOR LARGER SPACES