Golden Quinoa Cakes [vegetarian]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- 150g quinoa
- 1 onion (grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 300g courgettes (grated)
- 150g carrots (grated)
- 200g feta
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 3-4 tbsp chopped parsley
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Make sure all the vegetables (onion, courgettes and carrots) are finely grated. The best is to use the coarse side of a cheese grater.
- Cook the quinoa in boiling water according to packet instructions.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook onion and garlic until golden.
- Add grated courgettes and carrots. Cook for 5 mins.
- Add crumbled feta. Cook and stir until feta is well blended.
- Carry on cooking so that to eliminate as much liquid as possible.
- When cooked, drain quinoa well to eliminate as much liquid as possible.
- Add quinoa to the vegetable mix and blend well.
- Add 3 tbsp of flour. Add parsley. Mix and blend well.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Away from the hob, add to the vegetables and quinoa mix. Season to taste. Blend well. You should have a gooey mixture.
- Heat some olive oil in a non stick frying pan (I use a pancake pan). With a spoon, form some small cakes with the quinoa/vegetables mix. I find it easier to use a metal cookie cutter as a guide. You are aiming for 2cm height and 8-9cm diameter. You should be able to cook 3-4 cakes at a time. Make sure the heat is not too high otherwise they will burn. After 3-5 minutes on one side they should be ready to flip over. The most important is to cook the first side really well as it will give the shape of the overall cake. Cook around 3-5 minutes on the over side.
- Have a dish (lined with a piece of kitchen roll) ready next to you so you can put the cooked quinoa cakes in it when they are ready. You can keep them warm in the oven while you cook the rest.
Quick and easy, this watermelon salad with cucumber and feta...Recipe by theflexitarian |
Loaded with vegetables and fruits these vegan carrot muffins are...Recipe by theflexitarian |