Moroccan-Style Stuffed Butternut with Barley [vegan]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 large butternut
- 175g pearl barley [US 1 1/4 cups]
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes [14oz]
- 400g can chickpeas [14 oz]
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 handfuls of raisin
- 1 handful dried cranberries
- 1 handful sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp chopped mint
- small bunch of coriander
- juice of 2 lemon
- olice oil
- salt & pepper
- harissa to serve
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Cut the butternut squash in half. Scoop the seeds out and prick the flesh all over with fork. Drizzle with some olive oil. Depending on size, cook for 40-60 mins until flesh is soft.
- Heat some water in a small saucepan. When boiling, add pearl barley and cook for around 15 mins (should be cooked but still have a bite). Drain and set aside.
- When butternut is cooked, removed the flesh carefully and set aside in a bowl.
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Add finely sliced onion, garlic, ground coriander, ground cumin, ginger, cinnamon, paprika and turmeric. Fry gently until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes and drained barley, followed by chickpeas, almonds, raisins and cranberries. Mix in the cooked butternut flesh.
- Add chopped mint and coriander. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Transfer the filling back into the carved butternut half, piling it high.
- Pop back in the oven for 5-8 mins to heat up.
- Eat straightaway with a dash of harissa on top.
Quick and easy, this watermelon salad with cucumber and feta...Recipe by theflexitarian |
Loaded with vegetables and fruits these vegan carrot muffins are...Recipe by theflexitarian |