This Quinoa Risotto With Fennel was made with Waitrose’s “LoveLife, Red & White Quinoa with Bulgar”. However you can substitute for any kind of quinoa. Quinoa is usually boiled in water but here it is cooked as risotto rice when you keep on adding stock little by little until it is absorbed. We love the addition of preserved lemons for a slight tangy kick. This tasty vegetarian dish can easily be altered to suit vegans.
Quinoa Risotto With Fennel [vegetarian]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 250g quinoa [UK 8.8 oz /US 1 ¼ cup]
- 1 medium fennel bulb (cut into very thin slices)
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 25g butter [UK 0.9 oz / US 1/8 cup]
- 1 litre of vegetable stock [UK 1.75 pint / US 2.1 pint]
- 1 to 2 preserved lemons (cut into small dices)
- 50g vegetarian parmesan style cheese + shavings to decorate [UK 1.75 oz / US 1/4 cup]
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme sprigs to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add fennel and sauté for 3 mins.
- Add quinoa. Stir well.
- Add 250ml of stock, simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Repeat “step 5″ 2 to 3 times until the quinoa is cooked.
- Add preserved lemon and parmesan.
- Season to taste.
- Let stand covered for 5 mins away from stove.
- Transfer to plates.
- Add parmesan shavings and fresh thymes leaves (about 2 sprigs per plate).
A food enthusiast, Annabelle Randles loves cooking all type of cuisines and experimenting with flavours, herbs and spices. French carnivore by birth she is now a flexitarian and truly enjoying ...Read more about this chef..