This rhubarb tart is a simple seasonal dessert. Here we make our own shortcut pastry but you can, of course, buy it already made.
Rhubarb Tart [vegetarian]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- 200g of plain flour [UK 7 oz / US 1 ⅔ cup]
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp of sugar
- 110g butter at room temperature [UK 4 oz / US 1/2 cup]
- 2-3 Tbsp of water
- 400g rhubarb [14 oz]
- 200g sugar [UK 7 oz / US 1 cup]
- 2 organic eggs
- 250ml single cream [UK 8 Fl oz / US 1 cup]
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6
- Make the shortcut pastry by mixing the flour, salt and 2 Tbsp of sugar. Add butter cut into small cubes and mix by hand or food processor on pulse setting until you get a mixture that ressembles breadcrumbs.
- Add water one tbsp at a time until mixture comes together as a ball.
- Roll out the pastry and place in a 23cm loose bottomed tart tin.
- Prick the pastry all over with a fork.
- Cut the rhubarb into small cubes and spread on top of the pastry.
- Mix eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla together.
- Pour carefully over the rhubarb in the prepared tart case.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until crust and filling are golden and firm to the touch.
- Let cool completely before serving.