Tangy Couscous [vegan]
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 large aubergine (eggplant in the US) (cut in 1cm dices)
- 1 red pepper (cut in 1cm dices)
- 250g cherry tomatoes (halved) [UK 8.8 oz / US 1 ½ cups]
- 400g can of chickpeas (drained) [UK 14 oz / US 2 cups]
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp caster
- 2 preserved lemons (cut in small dices)
- 3 Tbsp capers
- 1 small bunch of basil (chopped)
- 240g couscous [UK 8.5 oz / US 1 ⅓ cups]
- Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and cook slowly until brown and soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add diced aubergine plus 3 tbsp olive oil. Cook until brown on all sides.
- Add red pepper and cook until just cooked.
- Add cherry tomatoes.
- Turn the stove to medium heat. Add red vinegar and caster sugar. Stir well.
- Add tomato paste, preserved lemons and capers. Stir well.
- Cook slowly for 25 mins or so until juices have thickened.
- Add the chickpeas and let everything cook slowly for another 10 mins or so. You want the juices to be thick but the pepper should not be overcooked.
- Prepare couscous according to packet instructions.
- Just before serving the vegetables add the basil.
- Serve vegetables on a bed of couscous.
This butternut & spinach curry makes a hearty and healthy...
This warming Moroccan sweet potato soup is served with crunchy...
This mild cauliflower & red lentil curry makes a quick...
This delicious roasted carrot and parsnip salad is tossed in...