This rhubarb and banana jam is delicious on toasts, bagels, pancakes or in yoghurts.
This recipe makes 3 medium jars.
Rhubarb & Banana Jam [vegan]
Disclaimer: the equipment list above includes affiliate links to products I use and like.
- 1.1 kg rhubarb to get 900g [2 pounds] rhubarb once cleaned
- 750 g jam sugar
- 3 medium bananas
- juice of 1 lemon
- Clean and peel the rhubarb. Cut in small chunks.
- Place the rhubarb in heavy bottom pan or preserve pan . Add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir the mixture thoroughly. Cover and let to juice for 4 hours to overnight.
- When you are ready to make the jam, sterilise the jars first and put some saucer plates in the freezer.
- To sterilise the jars you can plunge them in a large pan of boiling water for 10 mins. Alternatively you can also wash them in warm soapy water, rinse them and put them on a baking tray in the oven heated up at 100°C/225°F/gas ¼ for 10 mins. Make sure everything is very clean. You do not want to do this too far in advance as the jars should be warm when the jam is poured into them.
- Add the bananas cut into small pieces to the rhubarb mixture. Heat the fruits under medium to high heat until the mixture reaches boiling point. Carry on boiling jam for 20 mins stirring occasionally so that the jam does not stick to the bottom of the pan. From then on, check setting point every 5 minutes or so.
- To test if the jam has set, put a teaspoon of jam on one of the cold saucer. Let it cool for a minute. The jam is done when it wrinkles when pushed with your finger.
- Pour the jam into the sterilised jars. Cover with waxed paper and seal.
- Store in a cool and dry place away from the light. Keep in the fridge once opened.
Find this recipe online:
I cannot wait to see your posts!