This easy pickle recipe can be adapted to any seasonal vegetable. Here I have used a mix of cauliflower, carrot, radish, broccoli, turnip and onion.
This easy pickle recipe can be adapted to any seasonal vegetable. Here I have used a mix of cauliflower, carrot, radish, broccoli, turnip and onion. Kohlrabi, beetroot, celeriac, courgette, red cabbage would work really well here too, keeping in mind that the brine will take the colour of darker vegetables (especially red and purple ones)
I used raw vegetables to keep this easy pickle recipe extra crunchy. Perfect with sandwiches, cheese or on its own.
This is a straightforward recipe using vinegar, salt. For seasoning, I have used BuyWholefoodsOnline’s pickling spice, a mixture of bay leaves, allspice berries, bird’s eye chillies, black peppercorns, cloves, ginger root, coriander seeds, yellow mustard seeds and crushed cassia. This is a very fragrant mix that will infuse your pickles with wonderful aromas.
For best results, make sure you use vinegar that is at least 5% acetic acid and sea salt.
Growing up my family would pickle gherkins and cabbages. Whether it is a lonely turnip in your weekly vegetable box or some extra homegrown courgettes, pickling is a great way to preserve vegetables and transform them into delicious condiments.
Once prepared, you will need to keep jars from this easy pickle recipe for at least 48 hours in the fridge.
Disclosure: This recipe was created for BuyWholefoodsOnline which supplied the pickling spice mix.
Easy Pickle Recipe
- 3 x 400ml preserving jars
- 500 g of mixed raw vegetables – I used a mix of cauliflower, carrot, radish, broccoli, turnip and onion
- 6- 9 garlic cloves
- 6 tsp Pickling Spice mix (see link in intro)
- 375 ml pickling vinegar – you can also use white or cider vinegar but it MUST BE AT LEAST 5% ACETIC ACID
- 375 ml water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
- Prepare the jars: wash jars and rings. Sterilise either in hot water or by putting the jars on a baking tray in the oven heated up at 100°C/225°F/gas ¼ for 10 mins.
- Prepare the vegetables: cut cauliflower and broccoli florets in small pieces. Cut onions in thin slices. Cut radishes in quarters. Cut turnips and carrots in strips.
- Prepare pickling liquid: heat vinegar, water and salt in a pan. Stir to dissolve the salt. Leave to cool.
- Fill in the jars: divide vegetables between jars. Add 2 tsp Pickling Spice per jar. Add 2 to 3 garlic cloves in each jar, crushing them slightly first.
- Pour pickling liquid over the vegetables to fill each jar. Seal each jar and leave to cool. Store in the fridge for at least 48 hours before using.
I cannot wait to see your posts!