I love this Buckwheat Banana & Date Bread for breakfast or as a snack.
Perfect if you have some overripe bananas that need eating.
It is gluten-free and you can easily “veganise” it by replacing honey with agave or maple syrup.
Buckwheat Banana & Date Bread [vegetarian]
- small mixing bowl
- 2 mixing bowls
- 2lb / 900g / 24 x 14cm loaf tin
- 250 g buckwheat flour
- 3 overripe bananas
- 15 pitted dates
- 4 Tbsp honey or agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 chia egg
- 75 ml melted coconut oil
- 125 g walnut
- 2 handfuls of pumpkin seeds
- dairy free butter for greasing
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Prepare the chia egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of ground chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of water. Set aside for 10 mins.
- Grease a 900g (2lb) bread / loaf pan.
- Shift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until puréed.
- Add the vanilla and melted coconut oil to the bananas.
- Blend the banana mix with the dry ingredients.
- Add the honey (or favourite sweetener) and chia egg to the dough. Make sure everything is well mixed together.
- Stirring with a wooden spoon, add chopped dates, chopped walnuts and pumpkin seeds.
- Pour the mixture into the bread tin and even the dough.
- Cook for around 50-60 mins or until an inserted cake skewer comes out completely clean. Check from 45 mins onwards. Cool completely before serving. Keep up to 4 days in an airtight container.
I cannot wait to see your posts!